- Why is Atie working so hard?
- What is the significance of the note stuck to the kettle? Can Atie read it?
- Why does Atie say, “Crabs don’t make papayas”, when talking about Martine, Sophie’s mother?
- Does Sophie have any really close friends? Why, or why not?
- Why do Atie and Sophie travel to Port-au-Prince?
- What is happening in Port-au-Prince when they arrive?
- What does Sophie’s last name, Caco, mean in Creole?
- How does Sophie get to the United States?
- Why is the boy who initially sits next to Sophie so angry and upset?
- How does Martine’s appearance compare to Atie’s?
- What is Martine’s economic status?
- Who is Lotus? What does she have to do with Atie?
- Why does Martine keep a doll?
- What does Sophie notice for the first time when she looks at herself in a picture?
- How did Atie explain to Sophie that she had no father?