Directions: Each sentence below contains an indefinite pronoun subject. Circle the correct verb
from the parentheses to agree with the subject.
1. Among the animals, turtles cling to their basic structural design, while many others (is, are)
experimenting their way to extinction.
2. Turtles are unique; each (has, have) eight cervical vertebrae, compared with seven of most
3. Turtles are honored in many countries; in China, for example, everyone (worships, worship) the
legendary turtle named Dwei who created the universe.
4. Turtles have specific characteristics; all (displays, display) two plated decks: the upper, called
the carapace, and the lower, known as the plastron.
5. Of the female turtles, some (has, have) been found to be twice the size of the males.
Directions: This group of sentences contains a mixture of correct and incorrect subject-verb
combinations. Read each sentence carefully. If the subject and verb agree, write “correct” in
the space provided below. If the subject and verb do not agree, correct the sentence. Write
the corrections in the space below.
6. Among the fascinating facts about turtles, another are their patterns of dots, splashes, and
7. Aquatic turtles are different from land turtles: most is unable to close their shells.
8. Everyone knows Ogden Nash’s celebrated poem about turtles.
9. No one is going to bother snappers, eaters of anything from snakes and wooden canoe chunks
to baby alligators.
10. However, of the early tribes, several uses turtles for food.
Resource site: www.lcps.org
Singular indefinite pronouns:
Plural indefinite pronouns:
Indefinite pronouns that are singular when they refer to
singular words and plural when they refer to plural words: